The other day we wrote about 6 ways to secretly sabotage your job interview, and then we asked Facebook fans about the biggest interview mistakes they’ve ever seen. Here’s what they had to say:
- “Not having a convincing answer to what my strengths were.” -Prashanth Challapalli
I used to work for an ad agency and one of the founders also co-owned a cosmetics company. He brought a couple of color swatches to the table one day to get our input, specifically which shade we preferred and why. Simple enough—everyone had a quick answer among the lines of “I like the coral-y more because it would compliment more skin tones than the berry shade”
Then, it was the summer intern’s turn to weigh in. “I dunno, they’re both real nice”
Owner: Agreed, but which one do you prefer?
Intern: *shrugs* I like them both.
Owner: OK, well which one would you choose for yourself to wear?
Intern: I’d get both…Right? *looking around at all of us*
Owner: Sure. *gives the rest of us a WTF look before walking away*
I should note that the intern showed up with a full face of makeup every day, so it wasn’t that she didn’t KNOW anything about makeup or colors; she was just too timid to express her opinion. It was painful to watch, and she wasn’t offered a position with the agency at the end of the summer.
Moral of the story: job skills are a dime a dozen (who DOESN’T have Adobe CS experience nowadays?) but your personality and voice are what distinguishes you from the crowd and leaves a lasting impression. So don’t be afraid to speak up, during and after the interview.
- dowwwwn likes this
- couturejungle likes this
- jemcdaisy reblogged this from fastcompany
- arcanumarchive likes this
- tackybangs likes this
- sketchdan likes this
- indirabey reblogged this from fastcompany
- chipguy likes this
- ucla-leadershape reblogged this from fastcompany
- atasteofmei likes this
- dxp2 likes this
- fryaiaiai answered: when he/she asks…when would you be available to start?and your answer is……mmmm not sure….
- stly likes this
- t-chu likes this
- bertrandmgmtgrp reblogged this from fastcompany
- youyoungkim likes this
- rev320productions likes this
- exec-walls answered: Didn’t speak from the heart
- tinypillage likes this
- ayogirl likes this
- dunamisworld reblogged this from fastcompany
- albearandwine likes this
- junebugkim likes this
- gr4ve-shift likes this
- aa25 likes this
- momfarts reblogged this from fastcompany and added:
- creaturegabi likes this
- avikooloo likes this
- dimsyniad likes this
- alexklinger likes this
- diy-marketing101 reblogged this from kingdomcoaching
- diy-marketing101 likes this
- 73sisters likes this
- upcominghorizon likes this
- kingdomcoaching reblogged this from fastcompany
- jruckman likes this
- wkitu likes this
- superdownchicago reblogged this from fastcompany
- eternalmod likes this
- samstill likes this
- nap-city reblogged this from fastcompany and added:
- embryo-yo likes this
- postmodernnovice likes this
- balancingegoasaleo likes this
- commoncreature likes this
- gardenlilie answered: Some 1 hasn’t worked outside home(over 10 years) ?? shouldn’t just be based years ago/also current. What moms do is important; need 2 c that!
- naleysbitch likes this